The Phi Beta Kappa Association of New York (PBKNY), the first and oldest PBK Association, was founded in 1877 by Elihu Root as “a means of encouraging scholarship and culture outside of college walls.” PBKNY is a local association for elected Phi Beta Kappa alumni members who live in the New York City metropolitan area. We report to but are distinguished from The Phi Beta Kappa Society in Washington, where students are inducted from Chapters within Universities nationwide.
- PBKNY actively promotes the PBK principles and consistently strives to realize the mission of celebrating and advocating excellence in the liberal arts and sciences
- PBKNY has an active Board that meets regularly to plan ongoing events and activities (including scholarly and practical seminars, as well as networking events) that effectively engage its membership base
- PBKNY has an active Scholarship Fund for students graduating from community colleges and accepted into liberal arts college
- PBKNY sponsors an annual Holiday Toy Drive for children and teens receiving free psychosocial support from CancerCare
- PBKNY has cultivated a long-standing relationship with Fordham University PBK
- PBKNY invites PBK Society and outside Association members to reach out to us when visiting the NYC area
Support the National Arts & Sciences Initiative
The Phi Beta Kappa Society has championed excellence in the arts and sciences since 1776. To strengthen support for the value of the arts and sciences as higher education faces a crossroads today, PBK has launched a multi-year National Arts & Sciences Initiative. For further details, click here.
To take action, click here for the tool kit.